Friday, June 6, 2008

Neeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrds!

D&D 4e came out today. Erin's picking it up at work, since Amazon would only save us 10 bucks or so and rumor has it they're backlogged a month and a half. I've seen... a bit of the new material, via the standard channels, of course (wink wink nudge nudge knowwhatImean knowwhatImean), and I'm sort of excited about it. It's very different. Very. But it seems like it could be fun. Erin, Steve, and I will be going to a D&D gameday event tomorrow, or at least attempting to: there seem to be only 3 or so in the whole of the Bay area, and alot of nerds, so who knows if we'll get in. Handy for us that the only store on the penninsula (including SF proper) running one is a mile from our apt. I'm a little disappointed in the rumors about the pre-gens available in the adventure, but I'll take what I can get anyway. Seems a shame they're only demoing one of the new races, and none of the new classes. I mean seriously, why double up on fighters? Also rogue is the only striker that didn't catch my attention, and is the only striker in the party.

In context of the 4e release, I got an awesomly hilarious email from Amazon:

Amazon.com recommends "Complete Scoundrel: A Player's Guide to Trickery and Ingenuity (Dungeons & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying)" and more

None of the "and more" were 4th ed books. All 3.5.

1 comment:

Christopher John said...

I pre-ordered my books but managed to download a "preview" of my purchase prior to today's release. The system looks simpler, I like it. The dragonborn and tiefling additions to core races are poorly thought out, though moderately well integrated in terms of "crunch", and the "fluff" in the book is absolutely terrible.

On the whole 4e is definitely an improvement in mechanics. I'll report more when I've run some combats. ;)