Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Smoke signals

I've given up the dangers of wind and water for those of earth and fire. Not really a good trade.

I never realized before we moved out here how far smoke can diffuse. Like our first earthquake, our we heard about our first forest fire after the fact. Well, sort of. We're in no real danger where we are, as our town and the surrounding are plenty urbanized, so we only get the indirect effects. The first fire of the season was in the Santa Cruz mountains, a good 30 miles or so south of us, about 2 months ago. The current crop are burning in the East Bay and Brisbane.

The smell is what really amazes me. From miles and miles away, we get the scent of burning wood. Erin insists it's like living at a campfire, whereas I find it smells like pipe smoke is following me everywhere I go. The secondary effect is on the sun as it sets. It caught my eye on the drive home this evening, and I did my best to record the image. Sadly, the photographic spirit is willing, but the equipment is weak; the following are my best shots and still don't do the glowing orange orb justice.





Damn I need a DSLR.

No comments: