Thursday, February 28, 2008

I can't shut up

Something about me being alone makes me want to write. I don't know what it is, it's not like I have that much more time or less things to do, I could be doing all the surfing/tv watching I usually do, but looking back at my post yesterday sort of amazes me. Anyhow, items of interest:

The Elenium: I've been an Eddings fan for... I'm not quite sure. Some time now. Whenever I read the Belgariad, I guess it was last year sometime. Some people (I won't name names. Ok it was Erin. And Chris. And I guess sort of Jared.) had been trying to convince me to read it (and the Mallorean) for quite a while. Chris... come to think of it now I can't recall if he said he liked or disliked the Elenium, but either way he described it to me after me first Eddings Experience, and it sounded like everything I liked from the Belgarion saga. Erin and I picked up the trade paper of it some time ago, but it just went on the shelf next to its brothers. I needed something to read on the flight, so I popped it in the laptop bag. It's awesome. It's quickly shaping up to be my favorite fantasy series, and I've only read a few hundred pages so far. I guess I should finish Wheel of Time before I make that statement, but I'm too pissed at Jordan for dying.

I really want to like comics. I've been looking into some of the "classics", thinking about picking up graphic novels from some of the big names. Not superhero books- well, at least not the traditional ones. The first few I looked into were Sin City - loved the movie, but not sure I like the minimalist style on paper; and Sandman - love Gaiman, but after looking into it, I can't stand the art. I did pick up the 300 book, mainly so I could do a comparison to the flick - it's supposed to be a shot by shot production, with the exception of the subplot they added in to give Lena Headey more screen time (and who's to blame them?). I think I've found the book for me: The Walking Dead. It's by the guy who wrote Marvel Zombies - oh, I bought that too. It was just way too awesome a concept to pass up. Anywho, I've browsed though a bit of Walking Dead, and it hits all the high points - the writer describes it like a Romero movie without an end. Matt, I don't know if you're still reading this, but if you are, read though it at Borders or something, it's right up your alley.

2 comments:

Christopher John said...

I'm not sure if it was pointed out or I gleaned it on my own but at some point during my Eddings readings I realized that he's obsessed with shiny rocks. I'm okay with that, though.

The first Eddings series I read was actually the Tamuli (which I can date by my tattered Domes of Fire paperback sitting next to a pristine 1st edition The Shining Ones hardcover *eyeroll*). I missed out watching Sparhawk and the other characters grow into the seasoned veterans I was presented with in Domes of Fire, so when I finally got around to reading the Elenium it didn't have the same impact that the Belgariad did on my imagination.

Christopher John said...

Yes, I posted on a 2 month old entry.